The OGCA is working closely with the industry and government to support the safe ongoing operation of construction during the second wave of COVID-19. The jump in community spread, focused in the GTA and Ottawa areas, means it is inevitable that contractors will have employees report to work with the virus over the next few weeks and/or months. You can check out the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, the World Health Organization and the Government of Ontario website for up-to-date information on COVID-19 in Ontario and to learn more about how Ontario is responding to COVID-19.
The OGCA is working hard to make sure that our members are informed about COVID-19 and that workers are kept safe. Through our advocacy, worksites have reopened and are back at work. However, more work needs to be done to keep workers safe, ensure stability in the markets, resolve supply chain issues, and support those that have been most affected. We are also advocating strongly to ensure a steady stream of public and private ICI projects to ensure our industry’s long-term health.
To provide up-to-date health and safety information, the OGCA has partnered with the League of Champions on a series of webinars on how to keep workers safe, both physically and mentally. You can find the recordings and presentations from the webinar series here.
The Government of Ontario is in the process of slowly reopening the economy, starting with the construction industry. To frame the restarting of Ontario’s economy, the government put out A Framework to Reopening our Province. They are also providing a new COVID-19 Screening Tool For Workplaces to help protect customers, employees and contractors at work.
We aim to provide members and the public with an easily navigable space with all the relevant information needed regarding the restarting of ICI construction after COVID-19. We have also reached out to our Associate Partners and others for the information they wish to share with you.
Please keep checking this post to stay informed.
ADVOCACY FROM THE OGCA
- OGCA Government Relations Page
- CEC – Pre-Budget Submission (October 2020)
- Standing Committee on Finance and Economic Affairs – ECONOMIC IMPACT OF
COVID-19 ON INFRASTRUCTURE (September 2020)
- CDAO Fall Budget Submission
- COVID-19 Physical Distancing Protocols (May 5)
- Letter to Minister of Finance Rod Phillips re Opening the ICI Sector (April 30)
- Letter to Education Minister Stephen Lecce Regarding Clarity for School Construction (April 16)
- COVID-19 Shutdown Statement from OGCA (April 3)
- Letter to Premier (March 30)
LEAGUE OF CHAMPIONS
- League of Champions Webinars
- The LOC Webinar Series, 2020-08-18, COVID-19 Best Practices – What Has Worked (August 18)
GOVERNMENT SUPPORTS FOR CONTRACTORS
- COVID-19 Screening Tool For Workplaces – Businesses and Organizations (September 25)
- Service Canada Programs and Services for Individuals (April 14)
- Service Canada Programs and Services for Employers (April 14)
Daily Commercial News – COVID-19 Special Feature
- COVID-19 Knowledge Portal – from Fasken (April 27)
- COVID-19 Resource Portal – from WeirFoulds LLP (April 22)
- OHSA/WSIB Questions Answered – from Fasken (April 13)
- Updates on COVID-19 / WSIB – from Les Liversidge LLB (April 16)
FROM ASSOCIATE PARTNERS
- COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions updated to May 8 – from Sherrard Kuzz
- The Impact Of COVID-19 On The Construction Industry: A Reference Guide To The Changed LandscapeConstruct Connect delayed project reports: A timely update of projects that have pushed the bid date or cancelled to COVID (regionally and cross-provincially)
- Navigating Business through a Global Pandemic -More Advice related to Contractor Shutdown – from Trisura Guarantee Insurance Company (April 16)
- How to test your mask – from Alliance Creative (April 10)
- Managing Temporary Project Suspensions – from Petrela Winter & Associates (April 10)
FROM INDUSTRY STAKEHOLDERS
- The Impact of COVID-19 on the Supply of Ready Mixed Concrete – from Concrete Ontario (September 29)
- Coronavirus Contractor Surveys – from Ontario Construction Secretariat
- CDAO Letter to Hon. Rod Phillips, Minister of Finance (April 22)
- Effective MCEA Consultation during the COVID-19 Pandemic – from Municipal Engineers Association (April 17)
FROM INDUSTRY ASSOCIATIONS
Please note that OGCA has done a cursory review of the items shown below, but members (and others) should do their own due diligence to ensure the items are approved. We take no responsibility for delivery or payment of these items.